(A glimpse into my life as a Vanderbilt medical student)

Saturday, August 28, 2004

Kupffer Cells and the Fornix



Full disclosure…I can be a complete nerd. That being said, I get out and party with the rest of them. Last night at the John Mayer concert, due to my unfortunate reference of some random fact from path as a joke, I was routinely and, for the most part, rightly lambasted by my fellow classmates. No one wants to hear about school when we are supposed to be partying to forget our crazy lives.

My question is: How can we expect to separate our lives from medicine when medicine is our life? I know this is an important part of being a balanced individual in any profession. Certainly the idea of separating business and pleasure is not a new one. Maybe the conspicuous absence of a significant other makes my life more “educentric” than it would be otherwise. It just sometimes seems like learning this is more difficult than memorizing the clotting cascade…guess it’s all part of the medical maturation process.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

I have the answer to your question: How can we expect to separate our lives from medicine when medicine is our life?

Don't let medicine be your life. It's very important not to let med school take over your life. You're a person who is going to be a doctor. Do you really want to define your life as a doctor? Maybe you do, but I don't, and it easily lets me separate the two. I have a job, but I also have a life.

4:51 PM

 
Blogger Rob Thomas said...

ask a stupid question...

7:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home