(A glimpse into my life as a Vanderbilt medical student)

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Ophthalmoscopes and Crazy Misunderstandings



Yes, I practiced using this today. No, it’s an ophthalmoscope (charging in the wall socket). We had "retina day" today in neuro and to celebrate the joyous occasion we got to use our brand new instruments and searched for each other’s foveae all morning. After a lengthy debate on the merits of PanOptic vs. Old School, we were finally ready to get down to business.

In about five minutes (the time it took my friends to assemble their panoptics) I was already catching my first glimpse of the “amazing wonders” of the optic disc. To be honest, I didn’t quite experience the love affair that Dr. Norden somehow shares with the fundus (speaking of, this website is too bizarre), but, I gotta admit, it was fairly cool to be able to see the back of the eye for the first time. As we practiced on each other amid the “I know your retina is burning, but I need to see the macula” and “come over and try Patti, she’s got nice pupils” we fumbled through our first introduction to the physical exam.

First impressions, I’m too quick to reach out and touch someone. I noticed my friend’s surprise as my hand was suddenly on his eyelid bearing down with my blinding beam; this reaction from someone that was expecting it. I quickly realized that I needed to let the “patient” know when I was going to touch them and tried to be deliberate in explaining the procedure to my subsequent victims.

Overall, I really enjoyed getting to apply what we learned conceptually in class in a (pseudo) clinical setting. Now, if I can just keep that mindset on prostate day…

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful lesson from opthalmoscopes. Coming from the patient side, I must say that there are very few things as comforting in a doctor's office as the doctor actually taking the time to explain what he/she is going to do before the do it. It makes the experience so much better.

12:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home